Allen & Heath AR84 Audio Rack – Digital Stage Box
The AR84 is an expander audio interface rack for the Allen & Heath GLD and Qu digital mixing
systems. It provides 8 remote controlled mic/line preamps and 4 XLR line outputs. Up to two AR84
AudioRacks can be added to a GLD system. The AR84 can connect directly to the mixer or to the
AR2412 AudioRack to expand the number of system inputs and outputs.
The AR84 is simply an audio interface. It cannot be used by itself. It must connect to the GLD or Qu
mixer which is where the audio is processed.
The AR84 is not compatible with Allen & Heath iLive Series components or ACE connection.
Refer to the GLD User Guide AP8561 and Qu User Guide AP9372 for instructions on connecting
and using the AR84 with your system. Refer to the Allen & Heath web site for more information and
suitable Cat5 cables.
• 1• Input sockets 8 balanced XLR inputs for microphone and line level sources. The preamps are built into the AR84 rack and their Gain, Pad and 48V phantom power is remote controlled from the mixer via the digital link. The output of the analogue preamps are converted to digital format and transported via a Cat5 cable to be processed and mixed at the GLD or Qu mixer.
• The sockets are not numbered. The GLD system numbers these sockets as Local Exp Inputs 1-8 or dSNAKE Exp Inputs 1-8 depending on where the AR84 is plugged into the system. Write-on blocks are provided for you to label the sockets.
• 2• Output sockets 4 balanced XLR outputs operating at nominal +4dBu line level. Any signal can be patched to any socket using the GLD I/O screen or Qu Setup / Output Patch / dSNAKE menu. The mixer defaults to a logical mapping of
• these sockets to get you started.
• The sockets are not numbered. The GLD system numbers these sockets as Local Exp Outputs 1-4 or dSNAKE Exp Outputs 1-4 depending on where the AR84 is plugged into the system. Write-on blocks are provided for you to label the sockets.
• 3• EXPANDER port Cat5 cable link to connect the AR84 expander to the mixer or the EXPANDER port on the AR2412 AudioRack.
• Note that the EXPANDER link is not compatible with the iLive ACE connection.
• 4• Kensington security slot To attach a ‘Kensington lock’ standard anti-theft cable and
• lock if required.
• 5• Fan A low noise fan inside the rack ensures air movement to keep the circuits and internal components within operating temperature range.
• Ensure good ventilation at the back of the rack.
• 6• Mains cable clip You can secure the cable in place using the plastic P-clip. Use a T20 Torx screwdriver to refit the screw.
• 7• Mains power input IEC connector, fuse and power ON/OFF push switch for the built-in universal voltage power supply unit. This accepts worldwide voltages from 100 to 240V AC 50/60Hz. Check that you have received the correct mains lead for your territory.